Python + JavaSpaces?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri Dec 17 13:00:44 EST 1999

At the beginning of November, while I was not thinking Python
thoughts, Greg Wilson <gvwilson at nevex.com> asked in article
<EAGT3.3546$cz3.100778 at nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
>Has anyone built (or thought about building) a Python interfaces to
>JavaSpaces?
			.
			.
			.
Yes.

My guess is it won't happen soon.  Among all Linda's
descendants, JavaSpaces most unequivocally comes out
as object-oriented and language-specific.  If you
think of objects as attributes-plus-methods, JavaSpaces'
exploitation of methods' mobility is quite deep.

A crude interface that just transacts data attributes
wouldn't be hard to do.  It holds no interest for Java-
Soft, in contrast to their default baseline enthusiasm
for anything done externally.

Of course, JPython can, in principle (that means, it
oughta be easy, but I haven't done it), script JavaSpaces
immediately.  A good interface to the object model,
though, will take what looks to me like deep thought.

I'd sure like to do it.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net