Suitability of Python for a Big Application?

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson.nospam at bigfoot.com
Mon Dec 13 00:07:31 EST 1999

Python is a good tool for this type of situation.  It allows you to
compartmentalize your functionality and do collaborative development.  But
it is not a magic bullet.  If your development process is flawed, Python
will not solve any of your woes, much less all of them.  Take a close look
at the VB attempt, and evaluate whether that failed because of VB, or
whether VB is just the scapegoat.  Sometimes this is a difficult thing to
do, but you must do it; if you don't, a year from now I could very well find
a message in the Perl newsgroup saying "we tried VB and Python with
miserable results."

I suggest delaying the decision of language(s) until after the requirements
phase.  And I suggest in the requirements phase, you think about what is
really important.  For example, does the front end really need to be
cross-platform, or is it all (~99%) Win32.  Also think about, of the things
that will need to be in the final system, which need to be in the final
system.

If you go with a mixed-language system, it is important that there be a
"master language" which drives things, and that you implement things in that
language unless there is a strong justification to use something else.
Otherwise you get the "code smear" effect where no one knows where exactly a
given piece of functionality is implemented, or worse, it _isn't_
implemented in any one place but is an emergent property of the system.
This kind of thing happens all the time with Intranet development, because
there are so many languages and protocols involved.

That is my sermon for today,
Bruce