X display visual

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Wed Dec 8 16:01:17 EST 1999

Hi All--

Randall Hopper wrote:

> Ivan Van Laningham:

[snip]

>  |1)  I don't follow the logic in solution 1, above:  it looks like you're
>  |forcing the depth to 24 regardless of whatever you find out.
>
> That's what was asked for ;-)  I left the sensing in there for hysterical
> purposes, in case someone was interested.

<g>  I see.  That makes more sense (ouch).

>  |2)  winfo_visualsavailable() doesn't work on Windows.  I can find out
>  |the depth and get the visual string back, but I can't use
>  |winfo_visualsavailable().  Here's the traceback:
>
> Interesting.  IIRC, MSWin users are going to be limited to one visual at a
> time.  The original poster was referring to a UNIX/X box so it'll work for
> them.

Yes, but he was testing stuff for me to make sure that the examples for
my book work on other systems than what I've got ready access to.  Even
if M$ users are limited to only one visual, winfo_visualsavailable()
should return that single visual properly.  Not puke on people's shoes.

It looks like the TCL call is returning a string instead of a tuple, so
the parse() call is expecting the tuple and pukes.  It would really be
nice if it just worked.

As it is, I have to wrap the call to winfo_visualsavailable() in a
try:except or test the OS first.  Either way, it's excess code that
shouldn't have to be there.

<icky-stuff-is-icky-stuff-even-on-ms-windows>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours