Unreal Tournament>>To Use Python?!

T. C. Mits 71351.356 at compuserve.com
Sat Dec 4 23:13:29 EST 1999

The announcement quote is: "Python: I don't know anything about this
language but will look into it and get ideas. "

BTW, the same page has a rant about how 'old' most languages are in terms of
their underlying technology, for example, C++ and Java use 20+ year old
techniques.   I quote again:
<quote src="http://unreal.epicgames.com/News.htm" date="12041999">
I'd like to end this update with a rant, based on the observation that
mainstream programming languages, C++ and Java, are dismally far behind the
state-of-the-art.  The theoretical underpinnings of these languages were all
set in stone in the late 1960's, before I was even born!

Compare this state of affairs too advances in microprocessor technology,
where time-to-market is under 5 years; or games and 3D hardware, where there
is less than 24 months of lag between "great new idea" and "product on store
shelves".

Yet with programming languages, the lag in widespread adoption of new
theory-level advances seems to be 20-30 years.  (Note: I know the C++ and
Java designs are much newer than that; what I'm looking at is the invention
of the underlying concepts they're based, on such as object-orientation and
polymorphism.  In this view, C++ and Java could have been available in 1970,
because all their theoretical underpinnings were complete by then.)
</quote>

Would Python fall under the same critique?

news:384808f3.3299668 at news.telus.net...