The Don Beaudry/Jim Fulton hack

Donald Beaudry donb at tensilica.com
Thu Dec 30 12:15:05 EST 1999

> Now I'm trying to get MESS to compile and have run into a couple of
> seemingly insurmountable obstacles: parts of the Python API used to
> implement MESS seem to be missing (?!). They are:
>   PyAccess_Check
>   PyAccess_AsValue
>   PyAccess_SetValue
>   PyAccess_SetOwner
>
> Does anybody have a clue where these bits can be found (or explained -
> I'd happily adjust the MESS code if I had a clue what it was doing)?

In theory ;) all you have do is get rid of any code that deals with
PyAccess_*.  The whole access object concept has been purged from the
language.

The MESS is sadly out of date.  The last time I played with it was
nearly two years ago.  It is, IMO, full of some really great ideas but
is a bit overwhelming.  It's goal was to provide "structure objects"
and to make those structures appear no different from other builtin
types.  As a side effect, it got well into the idea of subclassing
from built in types both from Python and C.  Rather than consider it a
failure, I like to think of it as a idea well before it's time.  The
"super tuple" discussion has got me to thinking that it might be time
to start playing with it again.

If what you are interested in is really the idea of subclassing from
built-in types or playing with metaclass protocols, you might do
better to take a look at my objectmodule extension.  It's likely to be
out of date too, but overall it is much more recent and an awful lot
smaller.

--
Donald Beaudry                                         Tensilica, Inc.
MTS                                                    447 Moody Street