python 3D graphics

Thomas Hamelryck thamelry at vub.ac.be
Fri Dec 3 04:44:27 EST 1999

Black Mantis (themantis at trojanslair.zzn.com) wrote:

: I am wondering if anybody has any useful information on programing in 3D
: in python. i would appreciate it very much

Python has excellent OpenGL bindings:

http://starship.python.net:9673/crew/da/Code/PyOpenGL

You can use these bindings in combination with Tkinter, but that GUI
toolkit is IMO becoming obsolete. An attractive alternative is FOX,
which comes with a standard GLViewer widget (featuring quaternion
rotation, picking, lighting, etc.).

You can find more info about Fox at:

http://www.cfdrc.com/FOX/fox.html
http://home.HiWAAY.net/~johnson2/FXPy/

I don't know whether wxPython has an OpenGL canvas (I'd appreciate
more info on this myself).

Cheers & happy hacking,

Thomas Hamelryck//Free University Brussels (VUB)
Intitute for Molecular Biology// ULTR Department
Paardestraat 65//1640 Sint-Gensius-Rode//Belgium