Exposing COM via XML-RPC or Something Else

Toby Dickenson htrd90 at zepler.org
Wed Dec 1 15:33:36 EST 1999

Edward Muller <edwardam at home.com> wrote:

>I'm playing around with a way to expose Windows COM object via
>XML-RPC (or something else).

>OR should I shot for the stars and try to write
>an abtraction layer allowing us to expose MS COM objects with something
>like Corba, ILU or PYRO? This (if it worked) would allow us all to use
>COM objects from other platforms that support whatever library I've used
>to abstract/expose the COM object(s). This all assumes someone is
>running a COM server on the machine the client would connect to...

I've written a general purpose gateway going the other direction (ie
exposing xmlrpc objects in an IDispatch disguise) by mixing pythoncom
and xmlrpclib.py.

Assuming you don't mind the mismatch in capabilities (xmlrpc can
return 'structures', IDispatch has named parameters) its a
straightforward exercise.

hth,

Toby Dickenson
htrd90 at zepler.org