C++ (was RE: Python suitability)

Alex Martelli Alex.Martelli at think3.com
Wed Dec 15 11:47:45 EST 1999

Brett writes:

> "Alex Martelli" <Alex.Martelli at think3.com> wrote in message
> news:6D8A17398E28D3119F860090274DD7DB4B3D43 at pces.cadlab.it...
> > Grant writes:
> >
> > I'm not surprised that a Python enthusiast may not appreciate
> > C++'s basic underlying philosophy, since it's so close in many
> > surprising respects to Perl's -- reading Larry Wall's musings on
> > his language, and Stroustrup's on his own, side by side, can
> > be very enlightening in this respect, more than the huge surface
> > differences between Perl and C++ might lead one to expect.
> >
> Alex --
> could you give a quick followup to this paragraph? If the LW 'musings' are
> available online, URLs would be fine -- I've got the important Stroustrup
> stuff here. Just having difficulty picturing the philosophical common
> ground
> between these 2 languages.

Basically, TMTOWTDI <-> "multi-paradigm" -- the Stroustrup/C++
way of expressing it is more "pompous", or "dignified" if you
prefer:-), of course.

I'm pretty sure the author's prefaces to "Programming in Perl"
and "The C++ Programming Language" have a summary of
these stances on "why I designed/developed this language,
and, why this way" (but "C++ Design and Evolution" might have
more, I don't recall) and you stand a good chance of finding
similar material on Stroustrup's homepage (whose URL I don't
have at hand) and on www.perl.org.

Alex