Tkinter config on RH 5.2

Thomas Lionel SMETS tsmets at altern.org
Sun Dec 26 12:17:13 EST 1999

Hi,
Python came "installed" on my RH 5.2 & I now wish to use Tkinter as
explained in the ORA's book (Learning PYTHON). I modified the different
environemnt variables (under bash) so I thought I could use TCL-TK (i'm
running KDE as desktop environment). Here are the lines I added to the
/etc/profile file :

<snip>
    #Environment variables for "everybody"
    echo "Python environment variables ..."
    PATH="$PATH:/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk"
    TCL_LIBRARY="/usr/lib/tcl8.0"
    TK_LIBRARY="/usr/lib/tk8.0"
    export TCL_LIBRARY TK_LIBRARY
</snip>

The /etc/profile was openned under the root account so I could save it.
To be sure everything was OK I reboot to have all setting available to
all environment. Could someone give me an hint over what's wrong, 'cause
I can't run the example page 22

from Tkinter import *
w=Button(text="Hello", command='exit')
w.pack()
w.mainloop()

when importing I get :
    Traceback (innermost last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 5, in ?
        import _tkinter # IF this fails your Python is not configured
for TkImportError : BLAB LA BLA

Thanks for help ... !

Thomas,

--