Packaging packages?

Jeffrey Kunce kuncej at mail.conservation.state.mo.us
Thu Dec 9 11:20:41 EST 1999

Is there a way to collect all the python modules in a package into one file?
I'm thinking of something like a "DLL for python code". It would be
nice if the normal import syntax would work transparantly on such files,
as well as with the standard directory-based packages.

During development, modules in individual files is a convenient system.
But when applications are distributed, it would really help to have the
code packaged in larger units. I could go on about all the advantages,
but I think the analogy to windows DLLs pretty much sums it up.

I've been a big fan of Fredrik's "Squeeze" and Gordon's "Win32 Installer",
but as far as I know, they pakage an entire application into one file.
I'm looking for a little more modularity than that, and something that
can be imported from native python.

Is this already available? If not, has anyone worked on this?
Does anyone else see the need?

  --Jeff