Python not a Very High-Level Language?

Ajith Prasad aprasad at magix.com.sg
Fri Dec 31 06:40:19 EST 1999

http://www.oreilly.com/news/vhll_1299.html is an article by Greg Wilson
casting doubts on the effectiveness/value of Python and other very high
level scripting languages. Wilson comments that:
"Over the past few years, I have done several medium-sized projects using
both Perl and Python. At first, I was very excited by what these Very-High
Level Languages (VHLLs) let me do, and how quickly. The more I played with
them, however, the less satisfied I was. In particular, I no longer believe
that they deserve the 'V' in their name. This article explores why, and
suggests some ways in which they could evolve." Worth responding to as it
includes detailed criticisms of Python in particular.