Patch: httplib.py default timeout

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Dec 23 14:05:04 EST 1999

In article <mWl84.38$S3.3359 at newsfeed.avtel.net>,
Phil Mayes <nospam at bitbucket.com> wrote:
>Aahz Maruch wrote in message <83r0lh$mj6$1 at nntp6.atl.mindspring.net>...
>>
>>No, I'm not including the actual patch here.  I just wanted to see if
>>anyone had an objection to changing httplib.py so that by default it
>>times out after sixty seconds.  To maintain the current behavior, you'd
>>have to pass in a parameter of 'timeout=0'.
>
>It seems to me that this is a subset of the more general problem of
>socket timeouts.  There is a timeout_socket class and a method of
>injecting it into existing Python modules at
>    http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py?i=97250001
>that -might- work for you.

That's a good suggestion, but I'll have to reject it unless the
timeout_socket class is migrating to the core distribution -- I really
think that the CP4E concept requires that we automatically handle this
kind of problem.  Since httplib is the one that's biting me now (and is
likely to be the most common one for casual users IMO), that's the one
I'm fixing.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Eighth Virtual Anniversary -- 8 days and counting!