why?

Markus Stenberg mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI
Wed Dec 29 04:30:31 EST 1999

grant at nowhere. (Grant Edwards) writes:
> In article <38685b07.189574443 at news.isomedia.com>, Eugene Goodrich wrote:
> >On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:40:32 GMT, "ekko" <kgandco at home.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I don't know that much about Python and I have some questions. Why would I
> >>want to learn Python. What uses does it have? What kind of programs can I
> >>make with Python? Thanks.
> >
> >I think it might be quicker if we answered the inverses of some of
> >these questions.  For instance, What uses doesn't it have?
> OK, I'll start:
>
>  1) You can't write device drivers in Python (at least not for
>     any OS of which I am aware).

As a matter of fact, given small stub in <insert UNIX name here> kernel, it
would be entirely possible to do Python-based device drivers in
userland. It might not be sensible though, but last summer I wrote a
filesystem driver for Linux that way using Python.

<snip> other comment removed.

-Markus

--
"On the subject of C program indentation:
In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented