[OT] OpenSource Python Books?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Dec 30 18:02:50 EST 1999

Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at callware.com> writes:
> There are *lots* of holes in the potential Python bookshelf; Tkinter(!)
> (but there's at least two coming out soon), XML (there's one coming
> there, too), higher math with Python, Astronomy with Python, Python &
> Com, and on and on and on. ...

Book topics... hmmm.  A good JPython book would be great, and would
probably increase JPython's visibility in the Java community a lot; a
book about Numeric Python would probably have the same effect in the
Fortran community.  I suspect there's room for several Tkinter books
beyond the two upcoming ones, and there's space for GTk and Qt books,
too.

A cookbook-like volume would be nice; I haven't yet read either Python
Annotated Archives or /F's eMatter book, so perhaps that void is
already filled.

It would also be nice if more books paid attention to the relevant
Python modules; for example, the recent books about Qt and GTk+/GNOME
have focused almost completely on C-level programming, with only
passing mentions of Python bindings; a chapter or appendix on using
PyKDE or PyGTK+ would probably be enough to encourage people to try
them out.

And who's going to write "Python for Dummies"?

Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?
    -- Henry Ward Beecher