Python.org is down!

Andrew Maizels andrew at one.net.au
Mon Dec 6 09:30:01 EST 1999

John Doe wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I read that short tutorial on the web site yesterday and
> believe that there was a mention of setting a default
> root directory within a .py script.
>
> The time now is 00:10 Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5)
> in USA and python.org is down for sometime now.

It's not down, it's just shagged out after a long file transfer.  Pining
for the fjords, I tell you!

> I was wondering whether my above belief is correct.
> I am writing a script that may involve accessing
> files in the user home directory and need that
> piece of info in my script.

Chapter 13 in the Library Reference details Rexec, which is probably
what you're after.  It does more (and less) than a simple chroot.  When
the parrot^Wserver comes back up, download the PDF version of the
manuals and keep them handy at all times.

If you need it urgently, I've put a copy on my web server:

http://platypus.mu.nu/lib.pdf

> I have to say that yesterday was my first
> introduction to python and now I am off to
> writing something useful which I hope will
> turn into a GIGANTIC project.  I actually
> started looking at perl as a possible tool but

... indeed.

Andrew.
--
The sensitive soul who designs the One.Tel ads and the annual reports
has been let loose on the walls, armed with what seems like the nation's
	-- The Australia Financial Review, Tuesday, September 21, 1999