A Date With Tim Peters...

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 06:32:14 EST 1999

In article <tYq14.171$E3.10941 at newsfeed.avtel.net>, Phil Mayes
<nospam at bitbucket.com> writes
>David N. Welton wrote in message <87puwpg7kp.fsf at freddy.page.street>...
>>Guido van Rossum <guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US> writes:
>>
>>> Come and join us at the Key Bridge Marriott in Rosslyn (across the
>>> bridge from Georgetown), January 24-27 in 2000.  Make the Python
>>> conference the first conference you attend in the new millennium!
>>
>>Doesn't the new millenium actually start in 2001?
>

>Only for FORTRAN programmers.  Python and C programmers, being zero-based,
>get to celebrate a year earlier.
>--
>Phil Mayes    pmayes AT olivebr DOT com -- make that ZeroLiveBr.com

Doesn't matter about the base; to celebrate 2000 years you have to have
them. As there's no zero A.D. even C programmers will find it difficult
to dig up the extra year.  Year 2000 bi-milleniallists should celebrate
the start of the 2000'th year next January; then they can celebrate the
beginning of the new millenium in 2001. Mere digit preferentialists can
do as they please, personally I'm going to try and wait for 2222.

Presumably programmers will have another field day in the years running
up to 9999. They can mumble on about all the flag dates and also the
Y10k problem at the same time.
--
Robin Becker