Anyone else making music with python?

William Park parkw at better.net
Wed Dec 22 13:58:16 EST 1999

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 01:17:15PM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am I the only one crazy enough to make music directly in python
> scripts? i.e. not with an application but by programming the
> composition...

Nice going.  I write pure Python codes for numerical stuffs, instead of
using Fortran libraries, unless I really have to use them.  It's faster,
I find, if you consider the entire development span and not just
execution time.

> I've been working on a module to help me do exactly that. I  use the
> module to generate csound scores and do nice things like keep track
> of tempo changes for me. I'm discovering lots of interesting
> problems along the way and actually managing to make a little music.
> Eventually I hope to abstract the data away from csound scores so it
> could output various types of musical data (midi, csound, cmix,
> whatever). No need to define a new file format for saving this
> abstract data-- pickle will do nicely!
>
> I would very much like to hear opinions, advice, improvements,
> bugfixes, etc. Especially there are some big problems in the TODO
> list I need to solve soon.  So far it is procedural in style but I'm
> beginning to see how an OO design might hellp.
>
> The module is called pysco, and currently lives at:
> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/pw_linux/code.html#pysco
>
> Current version is pysco 0.0.2.

Just read it; unfortunately, I don't know anything about music, other
than the fact that I like Beethoven.  I usually write procedural design
first, play with it, and then re-write it in OO when there is clear
separation of data objects.  Good luck.

--William Park