Error confusing a newbie

Jeff jam at quark.emich.edu
Sat Dec 11 11:17:07 EST 1999

On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 10:57:00AM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
[..snipped..]

> I guess that I can always run it in a bash script like
> 'python net_time.py', which seem sort of odd tho.
>
> Well thanks for the try, anyway!  If I ever find out what the problem
> is I will let you all know.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Wayne

try running it via the python interpreter directly, as you have suggested
('python net_time.py') and see if that works. if the script runs as
expected, then I would definately blame the shell or some configuration
thereof (and not python itself).

look at the net_time.py script with an editor that will show control
characters (including tabs). maybe something odd got inserted that is
confusing things?

check to make sure that the script is consistent with it's use of
spaces-vs-tabs for indentation. it might look right in your text editor
because the editor is interpreting (or worse, 'optimizing') those characters
for you-- it certainly would have no idea that python cares one way or the
other, and posting the script wouldn't really expose that kind of problem
either. what text editor are you using?

what does your PATH variable look like for the root account? is 'python' in
the path? does the situation change if you remove the '/usr/bin/env' and put
the absolute path to the interpreter in it's place (i.e.
'#!/usr/local/bin/python')?

hope that helps.. please keep us advised of your progress.

regards,