circular references?

Neil Schemenauer nascheme at enme.ucalgary.ca
Sat Dec 18 13:31:16 EST 1999

Roy Smith <roy at popmail.med.nyu.edu> wrote:
>This makes everything work fine.  However, I'm still mystified as to the
>behavior I was observing.  I can understand the memory leak problem, but
>not the i/o problem.  I sure would like to know what was going on for
>real, but I'll admit that not understanding why my code works sure beats
>not understanding why it doesn't :-)

Perhaps there is a buffer like object that only gets flushed when
a __del__ method is called.

>BTW, is there any functional difference between "self.record_set = None"
>and "del self.record_set", if the object in question is about to go out
>of scope anyway?  FAQ 4.17 says, "Normally, deleting (better: assigning
>None to) sys.exc_traceback will take care of this".  Why, in that
>situation, the preference of one over the other?

No difference.  I find deleting it gives better error reporting
than setting it to None though (in case you accidently try to use
it later).

    Neil

--
"The percentage of users running Windows NT Workstation 4.0 whose PCs stopped
working more than once a month was less than half that of Windows 95 users."