Pythonwin: any plans for COM+?

Reini Urban rurban at xarch.tu-graz.ac.at
Fri Dec 24 14:03:20 EST 1999

Reading the MS COM+ specs and Mark's paper and sources regarding
improvements when COM+ will be available I have some questions for the
knowledable:

COM+ will provide dynamic GUID creation, dynamic object registration
also. Will this be better than the features we have now?

I saw the whole lotta lot of wrappers, in fact one cpp file per
interface to support. Isn't that too much work for the new interfaces
which will come? Will not the COM+ runtime services provide the same or
better functionality?
My naive approach would have been without wrappers, just create the
needed interfaces at runtime on the heap as with callbacks. Lisps do
that this way. (CLISP, Corman Lisp, Allegro Common Lisp)
The advantage would be to use the native language and abstraction
possibilities with a single (but admitted: complicated) external
code-creation facility.

Dynamic events: This is one feature which I miss with pythonwin and
which will be supported with COM+
Any plans?
The new features (interface-based, method-based, and persistent) seems
to make life much easier than now.

Implementation inheritence: Played with that?
MS says that it will complicated at the client-side.

Links:
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/compluscouple.htm
  http://www.microsoft.com/msj/1297/complus2/complus2.htm

--