Why use Perl when we've got Python?!

John Stevens jstevens at bamboo.verinet.com
Sat Aug 14 17:45:04 EDT 1999

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:39:14 GMT, Dave <dave at see.sig.for.address> wrote:
>John, please refrain from cross-posting all your messages to
>comp.lang.python.

I didn't cross post.  I responded to somebody who cross posted.

I never add or remove news groups from the list.

>The 'my language is better than yours' debates are always pointless
>and counterproductive,

Not always.  Such a thread lead me to Python in the first place.

You may be cursing your unlucky stars that that occurred, but
such is life! :-)

>Incidentally you are wrong about perl arrays and python lists being
>different data structures - internally they are both implemented as C
>arrays, only the names are different.

Which is equivalent to saying that all languages are identical,
because they all end up being machine code, in the end.

Sorry, but that is an over simplification.

>All great ideas start as heresy and end as dogma.

Yes.  The thought that it is actually possible to make objective
measurements and from those measurements determine that one programming
language really *IS* better than another language for a given set
of tasks or environments is, currently (Obviously! ;-> )

HERESY.

;_>

John S