Why use Perl when we've got Python?!

Abigail abigail at delanet.com
Mon Aug 23 10:05:32 EDT 1999

xah (xah at weborder.com) wrote on MMCLXXXIII September MCMXCIII in
<URL:news:37c126a6$0$813 at newsreader.alink.net>:
""
"" However, the ivy tower class of buttheads insist on symbolism for math,
"" clinging to the fancy that certain ideas are better expressed in certain
"" language. They created a whole barrier of entry. You couldn't believe what
"" kind of perverted use of symbols they invent. I know because I've been there
"" a bit. Their one-language ideology taints our programing world. If you
"" wonder why so many languages uses weird syntax (e.g. python, dylan, lisp,
"" haskell, mercury, mathematica ...ad nausea), you have these guys to thank
"" to.

Yeah, those math texts from the 16th and 17th century, they are sooooo easy
to read, because they lack all the symbols. Not to mention the original
Euclid and those other Greeks, who had no symbols at all!

"" On a personal note...  Do you know what a computer science degree is these
"" days? They require you understand shits like lambda calculus, logic, graph
"" theory, combinatorics, or even algorithms?? All for what? All the Perl
"" programers I know doesn't understand any of these, and they all are making
"" big bucks in fortune 500. I'm not ashamed that I dropped out of school. I
"" hope that Larry and Tom's teachings will eventually make such subjects
"" disappear for good.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahahahaha.

If you think there's much relationship between programming and Computer
Science, you're utterly mistaken. It's the same relationship between
driving your Morris Minor and designing and producing a new car.

Larry and Tom can teach all they want; their teachings will have no impact
on Computer Science what so ever. Just like their teaching will have no
impact on the grow of potatoes in Idaho.

Abigail
--
perl -we 'print split /(?=(.*))/s => "Just another Perl Hacker\n";'