Anyone else find Tk akward?

Paul Duffin pduffin at mailserver.hursley.ibm.com
Fri Aug 13 04:30:12 EDT 1999

Orlando Vazquez wrote:

> Is it just me, or is the way Tk organizes things on the window someone
> weird? I'm just starting to play around with it, and it has me puzzled.
> Wouldnt it be a lot easier to just use a coordinte system?
> For example put a button at (0,0) with length 10 and width 20 etc..
> Are there any reasons why it _has_ to be this way?

When designing a GUI (on something like VB which at least when I was
using it had absolute positions/sizes) I find that 99% of the time is
getting the positions pixel perfect. Once you have done this you then
either need to stop the user resizing it which is not nice, or you have
to do some VB hackery to get it behaving correctly when resizing and it
never works how you expect it to.

Using geometry managers makes life so much easier because they handle
all of the resizing calculations, the difficult part is learning how
to tell the geometry managers what you want to do.

If you absolutely have to have total control Tk (not sure about Tkinter)
has a place manager which lets you put the windows wherever you want to.

--
Paul Duffin
DT/6000 Development	Email: pduffin at hursley.ibm.com
IBM UK Laboratories Ltd., Hursley Park nr. Winchester
Internal: 7-246880	International: +44 1962-816880