tkinter/python question

bowman bowman at montana.com
Sat Aug 28 10:04:20 EDT 1999

Jeff -=Machtyn=- Gosnell wrote:

> Which type of user is tkinter built for?

In my case, someone who wants to create GUIs using Python. I do not know
Tcl/Tk. When searching for a scripting language, or whatever you wish to
call Python, to supplement my primary language (C), Tcl didn't even make
the short list. My first criteria: does this language resemble C?

I tend to look through Tk and think in terms of the X/Motif type of
operations which underlie it. The syntax is not the greatest, but it
does work after you learn how to use it.

I have looked at wxPython, pyGTK, and other variants. While they are
attractive, I am not willing to devote the time to learning yet another
windowing API, which may or may not make the final cut. Also, Tcl/Tk
tends to be installed on many machines, while GTK+ and wxPython doesn't.
Further, I have a personal tendency towards simplicity, and prefer a GUI
that gets the job done using simple widgets.

That is one take on Tkinter. I am sure there are many more.