Python GUI

Phil Hunt philh at vision25.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 18:43:23 EDT 1999

In article <7oop8f$hre$1 at newshost.accu.uu.nl>
           m.faassen at vet.uu.nl "Martijn Faassen" writes:
> Phil Hunt <philh at vision25.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I see, that makes sense, but you do lose all the work that's being put into
> XML, and all the hype, and standard Python libraries to deal with XML, etc.
>
> Perhaps you can make it so that your abbreviated format can be readily
> translated to XML?

With the code I've currently written, it would be very easy to write
a translation to XML. Going the opposite way (XML -> my internal
structure) would presumably also be easy given that there are XML
parsers available for Python.

> > It will also use the C preprocessor, so for example one could
> > write a macro for a label and associated textfield:
>
> > #define labelTF(txt,id,size) \
> >    label @id##Label txt textField @id cols=size
>
> You'd need a separate XML preprocessor to do something like this (or
> again just use XML for the backend). I'll stop harping on the XML for now,
> I was just wondering; it would make it easier for people to pick up this
> GUI definition language, and it seems applicable.

There's a Java-based GUI builder which uses an XML-based format
(JUML I think it is called). I have seen what XML files for this look
like, and IMO they are unwieldy, ugly-looking and too big.

Phil Hunt....philh at vision25.demon.co.uk