RMI and Python

Florent Heyworth florent.heyworth at radbit.com
Sun Aug 1 21:36:08 EDT 1999

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Tim Egbert
> |
> | Java is able to do remote method invocation (RMI) which is a neat
> | concept.  It is the basis for Jini, another neat idea.  Does Python
> | have anything like RMI?
>
> Yes: CORBA. See <URL: http://www.dstc.edu.au/Fnorb/ >. I think there
> also are some bindings to various C ORBs floating around. Compared to
> RMI CORBA has the advantage that it is completely vendor-, language-
> and platform-independent.
>
> --Lars M.

As an alternative have a look at Dopy 0.2 at
http://www.users.cloud9.net/~proteus/dopy

to quote from the documentation:

" DOPY is a small distributed object system written entirely in Python.
It is not intended to be CORBA compliant. Instead, it aims to be
extremely easy to use and to support Python's dynamic nature - methods
are invoked dynamically, parameters are passed by copy. Any python object
that can be pickled can automatically be passed as a parameter or a
return value, and any Python object can be published as a distributed
object."

I've been playing around with it and I find it quite usable (see author's
notes)

Cheers

Florent Heyworth