word1.word2 notation

Martin Ellison martin at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Aug 24 22:10:19 EDT 1999

Yeoh Yiu wrote in message ...
>I've noticed in various languages, there is a construction of
expressions with a dot in the middle...
There are also some constructions with a "::" (C++), a "'" (Ada)
and a "!" (Visual Basic). These are similar that they provide a
kind of attribute, but with some sort of variation. As far as I
can remember:
C++ ns::a provides an identifier in a namespace (i.e. the "::" is
resolved at compile time).
Ada x'max [I think] provides a static attribute of "x" such as
the largest value it can take (i.e. the "'" is also resolved at
compile time).
Visual Basic rs!v is used for (among other things?) accessing a
value retrieved from a database. rs.EOF would provide an
attribute of the whole read (whether it is at end).
Hope this helps.

Martin