making python man pages looks hard

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Fri Aug 20 17:42:00 EDT 1999

"Magnus L. Hetland" wrote:

> connolly at w3.org (Dan Connolly) writes:
>

> > The source format is LaTeX. Converting from LaTeX is hard/messy:
>
> Well - the docs aren't in standard LaTeX, are they? According to
> www.python.org/doc/doc:
>
>   "With almost no basic TeX or LaTeX markup in use, [...] the markup
>   syntax is about the only evidence of LaTeX in the actual document
>   sources."
>
> Since the format seems to be clearly and simply defined, it shouldn't
> be *that* difficult... Anyway - a transition to XML seems to be on its
> way, which will make all this trivial. (Actually, it wouldn't be that
> hard to go from the HTML versions either, I guess, with a little
> imagination. My point is - there is no reason to be spooked by the
> complexity of LaTeX here...)

In I:\cvsroot\python\dist\src\Doc\tools\sgmlconv
I find some README and a couple of scripts.
latex2esis.py
esis2sgml.py

and it looks to be able to produce XML. ?

Then I'd take an XML parser and try to generate man pages :-)
I have just no idea of *that* format.

ciao - chris     (starting a "who writes the shortest man.py")

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net