More random python observations from a perl programmer

Ben Gertzfield che at debian.org
Thu Aug 19 13:47:55 EDT 1999

    Tom> At the very least, python needs a top-level python(1) manpage
    Tom> that gives calling conventions, options, envariables etc, and
    Tom> an explanation of how to locate the rest of the documentation
    Tom> (even if it's in non-man form).  That's a POSIX.2
    Tom> requirement.

I don't know about your system, but on Debian Linux 2.1, I have a
python(1) manpage, along with an entire set of HTML docs in
/usr/doc/python . The manpage includes an explanation on how to get
the Tutorial and Library Reference. Here's the first page:

PYTHON(10 April, 1998)                     PYTHON(10 April, 1998)

NAME
       python - an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented pro-
       gramming language

SYNOPSIS
       python [ -d ] [ -i ] [ -O ] [ -S ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ]  [
       -x ] [ -X ]
              [ -c command | script | - ] [ arguments ]

DESCRIPTION
       Python  is  an  interpreted,  interactive, object-oriented
       programming language that combines remarkable  power  with
       very  clear syntax.  For an introduction to programming in
       Python you are  referred  to  the  Python  Tutorial.   The
       Python  Library  Reference documents built-in and standard
       types, constants, functions  and  modules.   Finally,  the
       Python Reference Manual describes the syntax and semantics
       of the core language in (perhaps too) much detail.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters P and M and the number 6.
"What's green and sits in the corner? ... A naughty frog!"