Book -- or website -- about Tk & tkinter

Phil Hunt philh at vision25.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 21 05:16:28 EDT 1999

In article <37BE30BA.E45BB293 at montana.com> bowman at montana.com "bowman" writes:
> Phil Hunt wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good book or website that explains how Tk does
> > its geometry management (the grid, pack etc managers)?
>
> Do you mean the low level nuts and bolts, or just how to use the
> managers effectively?

I want to know enough to write a Python/tkinter backend for my
Parrot GUI builder. So I'd guess I'd need to know some of the nuts
and bolts.

> Many of the concepts are similar to Java, so any of the Java GUI
> tutorials might be useful,

Ah yes, Java's GridBagLayout widget. It was this, and IBM's
Visual Age visual composition tool, that provided the main
inspiration for Parrot -- on  the grounds that ``there must be
a better way than this''.

> As far as tkinter, read the life preserver, Fredrik Lundh's in progress
> work, and the code in the Demo and Tools packages. Mostly, I'm afraid,
> read between the lines, and experiment.

Is the Lif Preserver still useful? Lundh's _An Introduction to
Tkinter_ says it's a replacement for it.

But you're right -- experimentation will no doubt be necessary.

Phil Hunt....philh at vision25.demon.co.uk