carpe linguam

x ergowolf at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 21 08:38:46 EDT 1999

Pythoneers and Tom,
I have been quitely following Tom's posts and it responses over the last several
days and I just wanted to add my two cents.  I have been studying perl for the
past six months or so.  I just bought the MySQL O'Reilley book(finally came
out!) and it said some nice things about Python so I decided to try it out
including listening in on this mailing list and, of Course, the corresponding
O'Reilley, Learning Python.  I must admit the language is interesting and
impressive in the way it works.  I am not an expert in perl or python, but I
like both and they are tools that accomplish very similar tasks.  They are both
interpreted, have links to C, are easy to learn, use Tk,small footprint, etc.
Why learn another language that is so similar?  I think Tom gave some good
reasons.  It seems to me python and perl are competing with each other, because
they are so similar.  I think it would be better to compare the languages to see
how they can be improved rather than taking Tom's posts personally.  I think
taking Tom's posts personally says something about that person, which doesn't do
python justice.  I think if Tom Christiansen takes the time to look at our
language, then that really is a compliment to python, its developers and users.
After all, I have python(I am adding more content as we speak) and perl sections
side by side on my website(link bellow).  Tom I hope you don't get discouraged
and keep posting.  I have learned alot about perl and python from your posts and
the responses.

Ergowolf
www.mindspring.com/~ergowolf
mailto:ergowolf at mindspring.com

PS I would be grateful to anyone who could help me add python content or scripts
to my site.