How to sell Python to your boss?

Stidolph, David stidolph at origin.ea.com
Thu Aug 19 13:41:07 EDT 1999

We are building a large client-server system using C++ as the basic
implimentation and Python as a scripting language on top of it.  This gives
us the flexibility of control at any level we want.  Speed issues can be
resolved in C++ and control is kept at the Python level.  When we change
what is going on in the script system we do not have to recompile - just
execute, thus speeding up our development cycle.  In addition, we hope to be
able to make code changes while executing - try that in C or C++!

I started with an extensive background in C/C++ and no knowledge of Python.
I educated myself and after one false start I found SWIG and shadow classes
and just took off.  I'm now a real Python fan in part because of the speed
of development.  I also really appreciate the exception handling system in
Python.  I use it in comparison to NOT using the C++ exception system.