Why use Perl when we've got Python?!

John Stevens jstevens at bamboo.verinet.com
Sat Aug 14 11:02:42 EDT 1999

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 07:52:51 GMT, Bart Lateur <bart.lateur at skynet.be> wrote:
>John W. Stevens wrote:
>
>>By your reasoning, Perl is very, very inconsistent (since not every
>>data type supports '+').
>
>You're looking for the Holy Grail of orthogonality, again.

No, I'm not.  I was, in fact, pointing out to Tom that his
stance was inconsistent even within Perl.

>Python is
>designed with orthogonality in mind,

No, it was not.  Python was designed to simply and clearly communicate.

Proper use of orthogonality aids in making communications clear.

>[Cute sig snipped.]

John S.

[ "Perl.  A language that looks like a C program that has been
  victimized by line noise!"

  "Yeah!?  You think so!?  Take a look at APL some time!"

  "Oh, I have a Mac at home. . ."
]