Get 'ifconfig' information via Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Wed Aug 4 06:38:54 EDT 1999

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> David N. Welton wrote:
> >
> > So, I think I'm getting close...
> >
> > import fcntl
> > import IN
> > import struct
> >
> > s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
> >
> > res = fcntl.ioctl(s, IN.SIOCSIFHWADDR, ??????)

And one more thing: the first argument must be the file handle,
i.e. s.fileno() in this case.

Setting the hardware address is only allowed for super users,
BTW:

>>> fcntl.ioctl(s.fileno(), IN.SIOCSIFHWADDR, '')
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
IOError: (1, 'Operation not permitted')

--

Would be nice to have an output interface for ioctl() too. That
way we could access many interesting technical details

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   149 days left