looking for py/database ideas

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Tue Aug 10 11:35:48 EDT 1999

Les Schaffer <godzilla at netmeg.net> wrote:
[databases and Python]

I've had success using Python to talk to Access tables, through ODBC.

Take a look at this page:

http://www.python.org/topics/database/

for lots of info on how to interface Python with a database. It's
not difficult at all. I just treated the Access tables as 'dumb tables'
and talked to them through SQL.

If a web based interface is acceptable, you should indeed take a look at Zope.
Zope uses its own database adapters to talk to databases (through SQL again).

If you need deeper integration with Access or something like that on the
Windows platform, you may want to take a look at Python's COM extensions.
That's as far as my knowledge goes; I know they exist and that they appear
to be pretty cool. The Python DB API was enough for my needs.

Good luck!

Martijn