Why do we call python a scripting language?

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 29 06:03:12 EDT 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.4.04.9908290357540.16114-100000 at gnr.u2me3.com>,
Stephen <stephen at webadmins.com> writes
><snipped for brevity>
>
>> For me, and for most of the people I try to tell about the benefits of
>> python, the title 'scripting language' implies that its not a real
>> language capable of real programs.  It implies to most of them that it
>> is good for simple sysadmin and maybe short cgi scripts.
>
>'not a real language capable of real programs.'??
>
>Are you on crack? Or do you have a different definition of the word 'real'?
>Perl and python or both 'real' languages. I can write just about anything from
>sockets to log parsing in them with the greatest of ease.
>
>What the hell are you writing that makes the language 'real' to you? Drivers??
don't be too amazed; the thing that usually makes these languages
useless is speed. I couldn't write any large scale linear algebra in
python, perl or java for that matter without using some pretty hefty
extensions. These are usually carefully crafted in C or Fortran.

The SQL applications are also pretty powerfully assisted. ZOPE has lots
of pure C.

It's not that it can't be done; it's not fast enough.

--
Robin Becker