clues to source of this delay?

Markus Stenberg mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI
Wed Aug 4 08:11:22 EDT 1999

Markus Stenberg <mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI> writes:
> And the CPU spent is about 2%, thus the delays are .. somewhere. Any
> insights on where? The Linux performance is sufficient, but NT performance
> most definitely is _NOT_.

To follow-up to my own query:
	- NT4 server did _not_ perform any better (5 roundtrips/sec, @whee)
	- Eliminating select altogether did not help at all

Threaded model; select only used for initial contact negotiation..
blocking time:

+---------+--------------------+-------+-------------------------------------+
|Function |          Time spent|# Calls|                              Percent|
+---------+--------------------+-------+-------------------------------------+
|select   |     111ms and 691us|     45|*                                    |
|write    |     432ms and 861us|   1052|*                                    |
|read     |19s, 209ms and 518us|   1045|**************95.63%***************  |
|Threads|                                                            Coverage|

Thus, it seems it's out of Python's hands for 95% of the
time. .. sigh. This twilight zone stuff just isn't for me :P

--
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.