[ANNOUNCE] M2Crypto 0.01

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Sun Aug 22 11:51:08 EDT 1999

In article <7po784$lpu at news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>,
Markus Fleck  <fleck at informatik.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at madcap.dyn.ml.org> wrote:
>>> Could you please tell me where that server is located and whether
>>> it is legal to download the software from Germany ?
>> The server is located in Singapore. AFAIK, there is no law against
>> export of cryptography from Singapore.
>
>That seems to be correct. But (oddly enough),
>Singapore has *import* restrictions on cryptography:
>
>  http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/cls2.htm#si ("Crypto Law Survey")
			.
			.
			.
As others have recently cited Goldman and de Saint-Exupery,
I'll take the honor of recalling George's observation that
a function of governments is to treat their citizens in
times of peace the way enemies otherwise would during war.

It's not hard, by the way, to bring this back to Python.
One of Guido's consistent missions is to make the language
so accessible and rewarding that non-elites gain more
control over the computing resources in their lives.  Python
aims to answer the question, "What will happen if users can
program their own computer?"
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX