carpe linguam

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Aug 27 03:45:21 EDT 1999

Matt Curtin <cmcurtin at interhack.net> wrote:
> In my opinion, you'd be much better off learning what you
> can from Tom

oh, I tried, but I completely failed to get anywhere
by using "abrasive" tactics in real life.  I'm probably
not smart enough (I mean, I'm almost never right),
or maybe things are different over there.  (I mean,
you guys don't even have evolution anymore...)

> instead of trying to criticize him for his perhaps
> suboptimal manner of presentation

aha.  suboptimal was the word I was looking for.
thanks!

> and attempting to justify your own position.

what position?

perfectly-stupidly yrs /F

    "Horses differ very much in their conduct
    toward snakes. Some show great fright at
    sight of them or on hearing their rattles,
    plunging and rearing and refusing to go
    anywhere near the spot; while others
    have no fear of them at all, being really
    perfectly stupid about them."

    -- from 'Hunting Trips of a Ranchman'
       by Theodore Roosevelt.