Why use Perl when we've got Python?!

Tim Greer webmaster at chatbase.com
Sun Aug 15 21:43:41 EDT 1999

"John W. Stevens" wrote:

> > In comp.lang.perl.misc,
> >     "John W. Stevens" <jstevens at basho.fc.hp.com> writes:
> > :With PCRE, I prefer Python.  I am slowly giving up Perl altogether,
> > :except as a training language in OO classes.  Not to surprisingly,
> > :Python is preferred more than 7 to 1 over Perl by students who are
> > :exposed to both at the same time.
> >
> > I'm sure I am perfectly capable of presenting both Perl and Python
> > in such a way that the students would prefer Perl by 7 to 1 as well.
>
> Except that in your case, it would a concious attempt to influence
> the outcome.
>
> In my case, it was not.  In fact, the first four times I did this,
> I was subconciously favoring Perl.  Imagine my shock. . .
>
> > So what?
>
> So. . . draw your own conclusions.  I've already seen how you
> structured one reply.
>
> John S.

Sounds to me, John, by your statements throughout this thread, that your
"students" preferred Python over Perl, simply based on their observation
of you failing at Perl and making more sense out of Python, due to the
fact that you seem to understand Python a hell of a lot more then Perl.
If an instructor is teaching a course on Auto mechanics and makes
complete and comprehensible sense out of Chevy engines and find himself
confused when working on a BMW or a Porshe, I think I'd be incline to
favor the American engine over the foreign, at least until I found
someone knowledgeable enough, or learned on my own of some of the
advantages that some of the foreign motors offer, assuming this was even
a possible fact. bad real world example, but your statement in this
thread did little good for your argument.
--
Regards,
Tim Greer   : webmaster at chatbase.com  | software at linkworm.com
The ChatBase: http://www.chatbase.com | 250,000+ hits daily Worldwide!
TRG Software: http://www.linkworm.com | CGI scripts in Perl/C, & more.
Unix/NT/Novell Administration, Security, Web Design, ASP, SQL, & more.
Freelance Programming & Consulting, Musician, Martial Arts, +Sciences.