Why use Perl when we've got Python?!

John W. Stevens jstevens at basho.fc.hp.com
Fri Aug 13 22:53:40 EDT 1999

>      [courtesy cc of this posting mailed to cited author]
>
> In comp.lang.perl.misc,
>     "John W. Stevens" <jstevens at basho.fc.hp.com> writes:
> :Perl is harder to learn how to read, harder to remember how to read,
> :and harder to read if you, yourself, did not write it.
>
> Proof my assertion, eh?  I disbelieve.  I want to see quantifiable,
> reproducible, and consequently irrefutable proof that Perl code that I
> did not write is harder for me to read than Python code I did not write.

Been there, done that.

No matter what I said, you would disbelieve.

That's Ok.  Every language needs its proponents.

I've done the test often enough, with enough different groups to
be confident in my statement (assuming that you understand that
"you" means the average programmer, not you, Tom).

John S.