Python GUI

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 02:15:25 EDT 1999

cbbrowne at news.hex.net (Christopher Browne) writes:

> >Paul> Glade is a GUI application that allows you to build a window
> >Paul> visually.
> >
> >Phil> Okay, but I saw a reference somewhere to Glade having a
> >Phil> declarative file format that could be converted into code to
> >Phil> build the GUI. I was mostly talking about the declarative file
> >Phil> format.
> >
> >Maybe you meant the storage format of Glade which is XML which in
> >turn can be used with Libglade to build the GUI dynamically.
>
> Sounds Really A Lot like CORBA DII...

Not to me. Could you elaborate for the slow of thought?

> >Paul> Glade does that too, as long as your "favorite language" is
> >Paul> C. :)
> >
> >Not only. See below
> >AFAIK Libglade does exactly that.
>
> Question: How do you tie events to widgets?
>
> Is it, maybe, perchance, via pointers to C functions???

widget.connect("<signal>",<callback>).

I mean, yes, gtk+ ties events to widgets via C function pointers, but
the Python wrappers are sufficiently sophisticated that you can use a
Python function.

pygtk rocks. I'm not sure it's as perfectly designed as could be, but
it's pretty damn cool.

HTH
Michael