I can't open a named FIFO that already exists.

srenner at lycosmail.com srenner at lycosmail.com
Thu Aug 26 20:05:43 EDT 1999

I have an object in my Linux filesystem that I created with 'mkfifo'. I
suppose it's called a FIFO. Anyway, the idea is to use it as a pipe. It
already exists. I want to write lines to this pipe so that another
program (Csound) can be controlled in real time by reading events from
it. But this object can't be opened inside Python, because neither
os.popen('fifoname') nor open('fifoname') returns.

I don't want to open a pipe inside Python, because I have to provide a
device name to Csound on its command line, and this way it already has a
name.

I'm sure I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated. sr

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/