Book -- or website -- about Tk & tkinter

bowman bowman at montana.com
Sat Aug 21 00:53:14 EDT 1999

Phil Hunt wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good book or website that explains how Tk does
> its geometry management (the grid, pack etc managers)?

Do you mean the low level nuts and bolts, or just how to use the
managers effectively? Brent Welch's _Practical Programming in Tcl and
Tk_ is the best book I've seen at the local bookstore, which isn't
saying much. At least 300 of the 400 pages deal with Tk, and he does
have some good hints and examples on building up a GUI with frames.

Many of the concepts are similar to Java, so any of the Java GUI
tutorials might be useful, or, since Tk was a veneer on the X toolkit,
some of the X docs. The basic concept is the old divide and conquer
technique. You can stuff a couple of widgets into a frame and get them
to behave. Then you put that frame into another frame, and deal with
that layer of siblings, and so forth.

As far as tkinter, read the life preserver, Fredrik Lundh's in progress
work, and the code in the Demo and Tools packages. Mostly, I'm afraid,
read between the lines, and experiment.
--
Bear Technology  Making Montana safe for Grizzlies

http://people.montana.com/~bowman/