Soundex implementation (was: RE: Fuzzy string matching?)

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Tue Aug 31 22:10:35 EDT 1999

[John Machin]
>> I see no ambiguity here; certainly, it is very hard to see anything
>> so ambiguous as to give you the leeway to treat W and H as different
>> from Y! Please elaborate.

[Tim]
> That part isn't ambiguous.  I don't know which person you thought of
> when I wrote "Knuth", but the guy I'm thinking of makes a special
> case of W and H (but not Y) in step 3: ...

On a hunch, I checked:  "the" Soundex algorithm changed between the first and
second editions of Knuth volume 3, and the Wachs example was added in the 2nd
edition to illustrate the W+H elaborations added to step 3.

leaving-it-where-it-started:-even-god-isn't-sure-what-soundex-is-
    supposed-to-do<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim