UnboundLocalError (was RE: Compound Assignment Operators ( +=, *=, etc...))

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Aug 21 04:09:15 EDT 1999

[Fred L. Drake, Jr.]
>   Current behavior (1.5.2 as released) raises UnboundLocalError (a
> subclass of NameError), which is much more informative and is
> usually exactly what is needed to point out to the programmer
> where the coding error is.

UnboundLocalError is in the CVS development tree, but is not in 1.5.2.

Tom noted the dangers of separating the doc release from the code release,
so he'll be pleased to see the point has been illustrated <wink>.  I'll add
that there's also a downside to the public CVS tree:  many of us corporate
apologists don't run the released 1.5.2 anymore, so say stuff that isn't yet
true for those who are.  Perl's corporate apologists have been doing this
for years, though <wink>.

the-world-is-fraught-with-teensy-perils-ly y'rs  - tim