Unsorting(randomizing) a sequence

Magnus L. Hetland mlh at idt.ntnu.no
Fri Aug 20 15:30:59 EDT 1999

Chad Netzer <chad at vision.arc.nasa.gov> writes:

> Christopher Browne wrote:
[...]
> The solution posted previously by Dan Schmidt, should work (I'll translate
> to C pseudocode to match the above form):
>
> for (i = n; i > 0; i--)
> {
>   j = i -1;
>   swap(item[j], item[random(j)]); /* choose from remaining items in list */
> }

Which would be, in Python:

from random import randint

def shuffle(list):
    for x in range(len(list)-1,0,-1):
        y = randint(0,x-1)
        list[x],list[y] = list[y],list[x]

Is that among the suggested solutions? (Sorry for not really paying
attention... ;)

At least it's short...

--

  Magnus              Making no sound / Yet smouldering with passion
  Lie          The firefly is still sadder / Than the moaning insect