lex / yacc for Python

Mike Fletcher mcfletch at vrtelecom.com
Tue Aug 31 21:49:35 EDT 1999

Normally I point new users not to mcf.pars (which I haven't touched in ages
(though I still use it daily at work)) and point them to simpleparse, which
generates tuples for use with the mxTextTools engine.

Neither system is a lexx/yacc style system.  They use very similar general
pattern matching machinery which does not use lexxing machinery at all (i.e.
no tokenisation pass).  Both systems are targeted at (moderately) fast
parsing of a very limited class of grammars.

http://members.home.com/mcfletch/programming/simpleparse/simpleparse.html

As noted on your page, mcf.pars is still available as part of mcf.vrml, but
the version of mcf.vrml on starship.python.net is actually an old version of
that package.  I would have to check to see if the mcf.pars package changed
between that version and later versions of mcf.vrml.

Cheers,
Mike