solaris 7--popen2 crash

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 02:44:02 EDT 1999

Nathan Clegg <nathan at islanddata.com> writes:

> This is the first time I've had a test crash on me.  I've installed python
> on linux, solaris, and HP-UX, but this is my first time on solaris 7.
> During make test, I got this:
>
> test test_popen2 crashed -- exceptions.AssertionError :
>
> Any ideas?  Missing libraries?  Incompatible platform?  Any more helpful
> information I can provide?  Worse case scenario: can I continue on using
> python as long as I dont' use popen2? :)

>From the output of "cvs log Lib/popen2.py":

revision 1.8
date: 1999/04/20 12:27:31;  author: guido;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -1
Calling _cleanup() does not guarantee that all processes have
terminated; this makes the final assert in the self-test code fail if
the parent runs faster than the children.  Fix this by calling wait()
on the remaining children instead.

I.e. it's probably on non-problem.

HTH
Michael