Help! Getting used memory

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Aug 6 16:51:15 EDT 1999

Sunit writes:

>       I have a 'renegade' process which I think doesn't release
>       memory
> after it quits. Is there a way to check this user win32 functions.
> If so, could someone please let me know how to do this in python.
> I'm guessing I might have to use calldll...

When a process ends, all memory owned by that process is guaranteed
to be released. There aren't that many ways to leak after process
death. You could be leaving junk on the clipboard, or have started
COM stuff and screwed up the refcounting so it stays around. On Win9x
I suppose you could screw up the 16 bit subsystems. You certainly
can't leak malloc'ed memory past process death.

- Gordon